To participate in our lives does not mean that we control our lives.
Not to control our lives does not mean that we are passive.
The most healing thing we can do for ourselves is to participate in the process of our lives as fully as we can
- even when the unexpected and the fearful happen. ~unknown

February 23, 2010

The hard part is Over!

And I made it through the other side. So much to "report" I don't know where to start.
My dad made it here safely tho it took a better part of 14 hours. Gotta love weather delays. I'm happy he's here.

Thursday was the lymphoscintigraphy. Now my experience is mine and does not mean others will have the same.   A woman from my church said it didn't hurt a bit, just a little burning with the radioactive stuff is injected. She had one injection. For me, I had 4 injections. Why? To find the sentinel node which didn't necessarily have to be in the armpit. Could have been under the collar bone. Anyway, 4 injections and it hurt like a mother! The node jumped right out for the camera - a good thing. After 5 minutes of bawling like a freakin' baby all was right with the world.

After a nice, long, HOT shower Thursday I was off to bed. Up before the alarm went off at 410am. Nervous? Nope - afraid of oversleeping and being late.

Got to the hospital just about on time. Out patient surgical center was b-u-s-y. Was called back, did the usual stuff like vitals, change into a disposable gown (took my fav everyday bra off for the last time - I'll not need it again, ever) and put on pretty purple socks.

My preop nurse came to join me and asked a ton of questions. She was awesome. So kind, great caring eyes, great work with a needle. Met with my docs, had a prayer with our pastor, a little verced and off I went.

Surgery took longer than I was told. My surgeon says he fibbed but would tell his next patient a more realistic time. He managed to honor my request for as small an incision and as much skin sparred as possible. His concern was being able to get the real work done well. Told him to do what he needed to do but if he could, save the skin. He did! That's what took so long.

My plastic surgeon inserted the expanders and 'pumped them up' as much as he dared. It no wonder I hurt! I'll get to that in a moment.

I remember random things from recovery. My pre op nurse stopped by. See? Told you she was awesome. I was obsessed with know my vitals. They were ok, I was doing great. Yadda yadda yadda. After about 3 hours I was in my room. My family was there. They had conversations I remember well. I even asked about things the next day. I am a believer that those in comas can hear us.

Stay in the hospital was about a 70 on the 1-100 scale. I had Nurse Ratchet Saturday. On 3 separate occasions she kept me waiting on pain meds. On another occasion she left me in the bathroom. I was ok until it was time to get up. I felt woozy so called for help. I sat on my ass for 45 minutes before I managed. Good thing I didn't fall.

Enough with that. Take your pain meds!!! Today, 4 days post op, it's not too bad really. But I have an aggressive approach to recovery.

Right now it feels like I've done way too many push ups or chest flies. So it's mostly muscular. The incisions and the drain ports are starting to itch which is a great sign. My doc changed the dressings yesterday and there's no drainage there.  I'm wondering if this is the normal progression, I'm ahead of the game, or I'm about to hit a wall of pain.

I have just 2 pieces of advice - 1. take our meds, 2 stay put. I over did it on Day 3 just riding around in the truck. I didn't walk around except for the 500 yard walk to the doc's office.

Ok - time to lay my head against the pillows.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are doing okay. I have been thinking of you daily. Thinking of NM will keep your mind off everything!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also opted for agressive recovery and it worked! I took myself off the heavy meds as quickly as possible because of the fuzziness factor. Plain old ibuprofin worked fine after that. Good luck, warrior woman! Sounds like you're doing really well.

    ReplyDelete