To participate in our lives does not mean that we control our lives.
Not to control our lives does not mean that we are passive.
The most healing thing we can do for ourselves is to participate in the process of our lives as fully as we can
- even when the unexpected and the fearful happen. ~unknown

January 1, 2010

Plastic Surgeon Visit and other stuff

Hubby and I met with the plastic surgeon yesterday. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it all.

On the upside the timeline is not as long as I'd expected. If I behave myself and do everything I'm told I should be done with everything this summer. Reconstruction would begin at the same time as the mastectomy (good). After the mastectomy and expander placement, I would visit the plastics office once a week for a Fill Up (saline injection into the expander) - I'd have pump up "girls." I'm amused by this. Anyway, after 1-1.5 months I'd be done with that part. 3-4 months post mastectomy I'd have the permanent implants "installed." Nipples and areola tattoos would follow a month after. *sigh* Lots to think about here.



Ok - bummer parts include, but are not limited to, scars and the amount of time out of work. Really people. I don't have 6 weeks to sit at home. My project just got funded. I've got a handful of people that need to get working. I don't want to give this over to anyone else. Hoping I'll get backdoor news. Scars - I truly thought there'd be no scars. I looked through the book at the office with my heart sinking lower and lower. Ok, an unrealistic expectation. After searching through before/during/after photos I feel a little better, but not really. Have I mentioned I am blessed with a nurse friend who works in plastics? She's the best and will help me manage the scars. E - I'm counting on you here!

Still not sure how I'm feeling besides some anger and panic. I have Stage 0 breast cancer. Like my diabetes, it was caught really stinkin' early (Get your mammos ladies!)

I'm so worried about how my hubby will feel when he sees me after surgery. will it affect him at all? He says not - it's the whole package for him. Wish I could feel the same way.

So...what are they going to feel like? Samples feel real enough. Can I have the same size?? Oddly enough that's very important to me. You see, I like my Girls even after 2 kids. Their not small but not so big I can't deal with them. I need them to be the same size just perky and symmetrical.

Started researching pre/post-op "how to prepare" information. Looks like I'll be doing a little shopping. Nothing like retail therapy for a pick me up! Real therapy will go along way too.

OH - I added a couple of links. One takes you to my medical pics and reports, the other to a BC assessment. I took it and found it interesting.

I've thought of so much today but can't remember it all. Might have to start texting as it happens. Gotta love Tech!

No comments:

Post a Comment